Current tension in the capital, Harare is reminding Zimbabweans of the fatal clampdown by state security agents that claimed some 12 lives, human rights group Zimbabwe Human Rights NGO Forum (ZHRNGO Forum) has said.
By Marshall Bwanya
Addressing journalists on the current clampdown by state security agents, the human rights organisations’ coalition Director Jestina Mukoko said that they were not ready to witness killings at the hands of the military on Friday.
“We reiterate that we do not anticipate to see the ghost of August 1, 2018 and January 1 2019 shutdown atrocities revisiting the country.
“We regret that there are already indications based on circumstantial evidence that some suspected state security agents may have already started attacking human rights defenders, as well as political activists,” said Mukoko.
“Sadly, these developments remind us of the atrocities committed earlier this year in January.”
“To date, six people had been abducted and tortured by suspected state agents in the evening of and August 14 in relation to the planned protests being led by the MDC opposition.”
Human Rights defender Tatenda Mombeyarara was on Thursday abducted, tortured and left for dead by alleged state agents.
Tajamuka/Sesijikile coordinator Promise Mkhwananzi has also been detained for subversion while prominent government critique Pride Mkono is reportedly in police custody.
Mukoko bemoaned statements by ZANU PF officials from the party’s women and youth assemblies and government promising to thwart the protest as being inconsiderate to families still mourning the death of their loved ones killed by soldiers in January.
In January Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions (ZCTU) called for a three day shutdown which turned fatal after President Emmerson Mnangagwa called in the army.
Last year some six civilians were shot dead in Harare’s CBD at the hands of the army.
Government argued MDC had called for a protest and was responsible before Mnangagwa set up a commission of inquiry to investigate the occurence.