Government has concluded rescue efforts at Battlefelds mine after the last two bodies were found following the rains that flooded the mine and killed several miners.
Addressing journalists at a post cabinet briefing, acting minister of Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Sekai Nzenza said the last two bodies were retrieved on Thursday morning.
“Cabinet was briefed by the Minister of Local Government, Public Works and National Housing on the latest position regarding the rescue efforts following the disaster that took place at the Battlefields mining area.
The Minister reported that bodies of the two persons still to be accounted for at the at the cricket 3 Mine shaft had been located, with one of them having been retrieved early today, ” she said.
She said the retrieval of the two bodies marked the closure of rescue efforts.
“This marks the closure of the rescue efforts pertaining to the Battlefields mine disaster.
Government wishes to convey it’s profound gratitude to the Ministries of Local Government, Public Works and National Housing and Mines and Mining Development, mining companies, artisenal miners and all those who worked hard throughout the rescue,” she said.
Minister Nzenza said cabinet has directed Minister of Mines and Mining Development to take measures to improve security around disused mines.
“Cabinet directed that, going forward, the Minister of Mines and Mining Development should take measures to improve security around disused mines and to bring about order in the operations of artisenal miners,” she said.