8 rescued alive after mine disaster

0
360
In a statement, Local government minister, July Moyo announced that Mnangagwa had declared the calamity as a state of disaster and this would allow for assistance towards the tragedy.
Haritatos said that he is grateful to Mnangagwa for his effort to declare that disastrous incident as the state of emergency and national calamity at that site.

Kadoma – At least eight miners who had been trapped inside a mine in Kadoma-Mashonaland Wets province have been retrieved while the search for more continues.

At least 23 people had died on Tuesday evening when the mine had collapsed due to heavy rainfall.

The mine collapsed last week due to heavy downpour that characterised the area resulting in flooding of the Battlefield mines.

The dam wall collapsed around 11pm on Tuesday night and flooded the shafts at the Cricket Mine and another one which is owned by Baxter.

President Emmerson Mnangagwa on Friday declared the incident a national disaster and appealed for help to rescue those trapped inside the mine shafts.

Looking exhausted, muddied and worn out some of the survivors recounted the horror experience of being trapped underneath the mine saying their survival was miraculous.

The survivors could not walk and had to be carried to a police tent pitched a few metres away from where they were rescued but there were no ambulances to help the victims.

Mines deputy Minister, Polite Kambamura, told the Mail&Telegraph on Saturday that that they had managed to rescue eight people from the two Battlefield mines flooded after the collapse of a dam.

“We confirm that eight people have been rescued. We are still trying to make an absolute effort to search and see if we can find others who could have managed to survive and those who failed to make it. Water is being pumped from the mines as we speak right now. We are trying all our best, “said Kambamura.