Pray for Mzembi’s health, court told

0
275
Former Foreign Affairs minister Walter Mzembi has landed himself in hot soup. He is now on a red alert and a wanted person for failing to show up to court.
Former Foreign Affairs minister Walter Mzembi has landed himself in hot soup. He is now on a red alert and a wanted person for failing to show up to court.

Former Tourism and Hospitality Industry Minister Walter Mzembi’s lawyer Job Sikhala has on Monday implored the court to pray for the former minister as his health continues to deteriorate.

Mzembi who is jointly charged with three others on charges of $1.6 million theft of trust property has failed to attend court since last year as he is battling with cancer of the colon.

The trial has had to be put on hold for months hoping that the former minister who is currently undergoing treatment in South Africa would recoup and appear in court, but the court is informed that the situation  is now critical and there are no hopes of him standing trial.

“The circumstances are beyond all of us, I had to fly to South Africa to get my own personal assessment of the condition of my client on Saturday and my client is seriously indisposed to stand trial,” said Sikhala.

“As an eyewitness I testify that the accused will not be able to stand trial. Not in the near future. Instead I implore both the court and the State to join us in prayer so that he gets through this. It is something very serious and on the next date I don’t think anything would have changed.”

The State led by Prosecutor Brian Vito also told the court that indeed Mzembi was not fit for trial and that there were considering a separation of trial to enable the matter to proceed for the other accused persons he is jointly charged with.

The matter was remanded to February 4.