Bulawayo-Two Bulawayo men Charles Thomas (54) of Njube and Bernard Sibanda (18) of New Lobengula who are facing murder charges for leading a gang of violent protesters who stoned a police officer in Njube suburb last week Monday were last night sent to remand prison.
The two who appeared before Bulawayo magistrate Tinashe Tashaya yesterday facing a murder charge in connection with the death of Constable Alexio Maune, (32) were remanded in custody to February 4 and advised to apply to the High Court for bail.
The two allegedly attacked Maune whilst he was on duty during last week’s #ShutdownZim protests. Maune was stoned by the two who led a gang of protesters and died at the United Bulawayo Hospital the following day.
Prosecuting, Mufaro Mageza said on January 14, Thomas and Sibanda were among a group of protestors who were unleashing violence, looting shops and barricading main roads leading into the CBD with stones,.
The group spotted and confronted Maune, who was on duty. In an attempt to save his life Maune sort for refugee behind a house in the area (Njube).
A violent Sibanda struck the now deceased Maune with a stone on the head before Thomas and the rest of the gang members confined him.
“The accused persons and their accomplices grabbed the deceased and pinned him down while Thomas continuously hit him with a stone as he lay helplessly on the ground. After attacking Maune they fled from the scene leaving him for dead with blood gushing out of the wound,” said Mr Mageza.
Maune was taken to UBH where he died the following day. He was laid to rest on Saturday.