PRESIDENT Emmerson Mnangagwa has said the Motlanthe commission into the August 1 killings will be publicised since they whole process was made in public and meant to get to the bottom of the matter.
While addressing Zimbabwe’s ambassadors and heads of foreign missions in Harare, Mnangagwa said the commission will be publicised.
Mnangagwa said: “the hearings were done in public so the report will be shared with the public.”
This is contrary to media reports by his spokesperson George Charamba who torched a storm after declaring that the commission was meant “for the president’s eyes only.”
Charamba stunned neutrals and critics alike early this week when he appeared to hint that the commission’s findings into the disturbances that led to the death of at least six people, will only be made public at the benevolence of Mnangagwa’s mercy. Charamba was widely criticised for his sentiments until he somersaulted and retracted his statement.
He insisted: “There is nothing at law that compels the president to release the report to the public or not to release it to the public. The discretion is his.”
However, in a dramatic U-Turn, Charamba told the State media that his ‘Mnangagwa’s eyes only’ statement had been misread.
The deputy chief secretary to the President and Cabinet responsible for Presidential Communications said the correct position was that Mnangagwa had made an “undertaking that both processes and the outcomes of the commission will be an open affair.
“That was way before the Commissioners had been identified, certainly well before the Commission had been sworn in.
“He does not need any modicum of motivation by twimbos to do the right thing. It’s a decision he took long time ago well before the Commission was constituted.
“That decision and commitment does not trash processes and formalities of receiving and digesting the findings of the Commission. That was the gist of my intervention, all of which was conveyed in simple, comprehensible English,” said Charamba.