Bulawayo teams bite the dust in Super Cup


Bulawayo – Bulawayo’s last hope of hosting and winning the Chibuku Super Cup finals for the first time since it was reintroduced in 2014 were dealt a heavy blow after Highlanders Football Club, were booted out in the quarter final stages by reigning Champions, Harare City in the capital on Saturday.

After beating YADAH FC in the first knock out stages Highlanders were the only Bulawayo team left in the competition. With hopes of pinned on Bosso to become the first Bulawayo team to win the cup and to redeem their poor show in the domestic league Highlanders crushed out of the competition in a two-nil drabbing from a determined Mark Harrison coached side.

Two first half goals from Wilfred Muvurimi and William Manondo were enough to knock out the ailing Bulawayo giants, earlier on Bosso had failed to capitalise on their bright start and missed a penalty after referee Ruzive Ruzive awarded them a spot kick in the 10th minute after Learnmore Muyambo had brought down midfielder Nigel Makumbe inside the box.

After the match, Bosso gaffer Madinda Ndlovu blamed the early mistake for killing his youthful side’s confidence.

“When youngsters get an opportunity early and miss like we did, you are bound to have a torrid time in trying to motivate them back into shape and win the game.

We were playing an experienced team and after their two goals that I consider as soft goals, it was going to be difficult to come back but I am happy with how the boys played,” he said.

Harare City have won the Chibuku Super Cup twice since it was reintroduced in 2014. They have also reached the last four in every edition.

FC Platinum were the inaugural winners while Ngezi Platinum won it in 2016.
The winners of the Chibuku Super Cup get an automatic ticket to feature in the CAF Confederation Cup.

This year’s winners are expected to contest in next year’s tournament which will begin in December 2019, following the changes in the CAF calendar.

The Mark Harrison coached side turned down a bonus offer to compete in this year’s edition after the change in CAF format.

Former league champions Chicken Inn were banned from this year’s tournament after they caused the abandonment of their first-round tie against Yadah last year.

The Gamecocks protested a late penalty which was awarded to Yadah with the teams tied 0-0 and walked off the field. The Bulawayo side were banned by the PSL Ad-hoc committee according to the rules and regulations of the competition.

Struggling and fading Harare giants Dynamos narrowly progressed to the semi finals after winning 5-4 against Herentals after it ended in a one all stalemate in normal time.

Triangle thrashed new boys Nichruit in a one-sided match which ended 5-1 in favour of Triangle, at Gibbo stadium on Sunday.

Caps United also booked a place in the semi-finals after beating airmen Chapungu in the penalty shootouts after a nil all stalemate at Ascot Stadium, Gweru.

Facebook Comments